Thursday, January 24, 2013

Webblog Journal 2

When posed with the question: "How would you solve the Arab-Israeli conflict", I would have to say that I truly don't know how I would solve the conflict.  I don't think anyone knows how to solve the conflict, which is why it is still an ongoing problem.  I see both sides of the argument, but when it boils down to who more of a right to be there I cannot make up my mind.  Neither side is willing to even acknowledge the other sides points of view, and I don't see this miraculously changing.  I believe that no matter what, there will always be a group that feels like they have been cheated out of justice.  I don't believe that the "We were there first" argument is a valid argument to put forth, because quite frankly, this is not the sole incident where a group of people have been pushed out of their native homeland. As a matter of fact, for one out of a multitude of examples, look at the United States today.  The Native American tribes who once called this land home are close to non-existent.  However, that is not talked about nearly as much as the Arab-Israeli conflict.  I hope that one day the conflict in Jerusalem and it's surrounding areas will cease, but at the moment I do not know how, nor when this will occur.

1 comment:

  1. You were able to write exactly what I was thinking when we were given this assignment. It seems dangerous to start looking at the conflict from the perspective where one group is "more right" than the other. As we have learned from Armstrong's readings the history behind these claims of true ownership over the land date bate back farther than most people care to research or think about. It's like what Dr. H said in class yesterday, politicians and other people that discuss the conflict fail to look into this rich and complex history that plays a major role in today's issues. Let's say we accept this fact and decide to educate younger generations about the history of Jerusalem. Would this breed more hate because of the historical biases or would a "new" history have to be created in order to create peace? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete