Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Reading Response 17
For this reading response I would like to say that while I found all of these links interesting in their own way, the one that stuck out the most to me was the City of Borders Documentary website link. I was absolutely astounded by this link and what I learned about the inner workings of the gay Israeli/Palestinian community in Jerusalem. To be honest, and this is going to sound extremely insensitive which I don't mean it to be for I am just telling the truth, I had no idea that there even was an open gay community in Jerusalem, let alone a community where gay Israelis and Palestinians congregate together in peace. I thought that with all of the strict dress code rules, and other strict rules, that the gay community in Jerusalem would be completely underground, but I was wrong. This opened my eyes to a lot of things. It is so awesome to me that in an area of such strict rules, and high tensions between the Israeli and Palestinian peoples that there are still groups that can live together peacefully. It makes me wonder why it is so difficult to come to even a small agreement on what to do with the conflict over when there are at least a few groups of people that can coexist with one another. Maybe if their voices got out to the public more they could start to make at least small steps towards a peaceful resolution. Either way, visiting this site definitely brightened my outlook on what I previously thought to be a hopeless cause.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, I guess we were both socially ignorant to the fact that there was a gay community in Jerusalem. I think the fact of the matter is that there is just there is so much stuff going in Jerusalem that we overlook the gay community that exists there.
ReplyDelete