Thursday, February 21, 2013

Reading Response 10

This week we did some reading, but what I want to focus on for this reading response is the two videos that we watched.  What I liked most about this week was the even balance of learning information from both perspectives of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.  In my eyes, this week we did not favor one side over another.  That being said, I would like to draw attention to one person specifically, Daniel Barenboim.

One of Barenboim's points is on the Israeli Security Wall/guard levels.  Barenboim states that the levels of security depend solely on Palestine's acceptance of them being there.  This makes sense, but doesn't at the same time because in my opinion, it is already well-established that Palestine wants absolutely nothing to do with Israel.  Thus keeping security, and tension levels for both sides high.  My hope is that one day the security wall will not be necessary, and that the two sides can coexist in peace, but I have a feeling that this scenario will be a long time coming, if it ever even happens at all.

Another point Barenboim makes is the idea that Jerusalem belongs to the world, or in other words Jerusalem belongs to everybody.  He says that this is due to Jerusalem's rich cultural, historic, and religious past, and the multitude of cultures/peoples that have been connected to it.  And while this should sound like a good thing, I believe that it is not at all.  I believe this idea that Jerusalem belongs to the world is the reason why all of this conflict is happening in the first place.  If everybody owns Jerusalem, then who's "home" is it really?  It's like the old saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none".  Which ends up leaving at least one group of people with a confused sense of identity due to a lack of a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment