Monday, February 11, 2013

Reading Response 8

Well, after trudging along through Armstrong's articles I was definitely ready for a change.  This week we began reading articles written by Salim Tamari.  Out of this weeks articles I would have to say chapter 5 from Tamari entitled, A Musician's Lot, was the most captivating for me.  I truly enjoyed reading of Jawhariyyeh because I actually could find a common connection with Jawhariyyeh's experiences and experiences of my own life now.  The descriptions of music, light spectacles, and the multitude of live performance in Jawhariyyeh's family, and social life reminded me so much of my current situation here at school in Bloomington.  I live with three other friends in a house on the South Side of campus, and although none of us are music majors in any way. All four of us, and most of our other friends have some sort of musical talent, and we all come together frequently, not as a band or anything, but just as a collective of friends who just want to be around one another and attempt to create our own unique sound, as well as share stories of our past, or even just catch up after a long weekend.

I like this article the most because it makes me wonder how many degrees of difference (obviously I mean besides the staggering amount of technical advancements that have taken place over history) there really are between our lives now than in the time of Jawhariyyeh.

No comments:

Post a Comment