Thursday, February 21, 2013

Reading Response 9

In the reading for response number 9, we learned about 19th century photography in Jerusalem.  Like most of the other readings we have done, I had absolutely no background in photography, let alone 19th century photography done in Jerusalem, so I took a good amount of information away from this week's reading.  In the reading we learned how pictures were essentially cut, and edited to fit the customers needs and/or wants.

We notices as the article continues that photography of Jerusalem in the 19th century is, for the most part, of architecture and physical landmarks instead of personalized photos of people and/or events.  I believe that the reason for this is that the photographers understand ho often the infrastructure/buildings of Jerusalem change due to the constant power struggle in that region, and so knowing this, I believe the photographers may have wanted to have documentation of these landmarks in case they were destroyed at a later time.

I enjoyed this article because it helped me understand the art of photography slightly better than I did before, while also teaching me more about the culture of Jerusalem.

No comments:

Post a Comment